Temperature: 77 o
Attendance: 40,687
Winner of the Dunkin' Donuts Race: Biggie Bagel
Tonight, we arrived at the ballpark a little earlier than usual and were not only able to see the A's batting practice but also the award ceremony for the first ever Hebrew National Higher Authority Hawker Award. In case you do not know (as I did not), Hebrew National kosher dogs' slogan is "We answer to a higher authority." I've just Googled this and found out that fans voted for their favorite kosher dog "based on passion for hawking, creativity & overall technique." Here is a picture of a hawker demonstrating his passion, creativity and overall technique on the scoreboard.
I have to admit, this whole higher authority hotdog hawker thing intrigues me and grosses me out. While perusing my Google results, I just learned from The Meat News (did you know there is such a publication?) that "The [Hebrew National] campaign’s television advertisements feature colorful, progressive graphics to show how kosher beef relies on choice cuts of meat from the front part of cattle, guaranteeing "no ifs, ands, or butts.” Nice word play but umm... yeech. Maybe I'll write a follow up letter to Comerica about my request for ball park tofu dogs. But enough lamenting about tofu hotdogs. Tonight was also another beautiful night to watch baseball and the Tigers played a lovely, fun and almost elegant game (until the 9 inning). It's exciting to see 40,687 people standing for the final pitches and, I expect, it's only going to get more exciting as we go along. And, I'm becoming a bigger fan of Curtis Granderson every night. We've got tickets for tomorrow and Sunday so stay tuned. I know you must all be a-flutter to see if Cuppie Coffee or Dashing Donut can disrupt Biggie Bagel's winning streak and I won't let you down.
PS if your initials are Dave, I completed my score card-- you'd be proud.

No comments:
Post a Comment