Sunday, January 14, 2007

Site of the week: Optimism for a January day


Often, my sites of the week are weird and quirky but this week's site of the week isn't at all-- it's just inspiring. Though, come to think of it, in some circles I've run in (ahem) this hopeful optimistic essay might be considered weird and quirky for it's hope and optimism. Alec spotted this essay by Bruce Mau called "Imagining the Future: Why the cynics are wrong" and I think it's great. I'm constantly amazed at how in certain circles one so often meets with eye rolling or under the breath mutterings when someone admits to liking something or feeling positive about something. I'm also amazed at how often statements such as "I really liked that movie" have to be whispered or shared among trusted confidantes. Thus, it's great to read someone say this publicly:
"These days, to express optimism in educated company suggests that you are either wilfully ignorant of the facts or simply a fool. To be serious, to be critical, to have a voice, we have to be cynical. To strive for something — something better — is a Pollyanna project for the naive. . . But what we need to be reminded of is our own potential. We have the power to make change on a global scale, to solve the problems we are facing today. We have the means to make the things we love more intelligent and more delightful. We have the imagination and the ability to invent new ways of sustainable living in advanced, courageous, and open societies. All we need is the optimism to realize it."

No comments: