
This week I've been reading Ross King's really fascinating book called The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade That Gave the World Impressionism. This morning I was reading a small section about John Hetherington, the inventor of the top hat, and I had to look into this a bit more. Here's what I've found out: "In 1797, haberdasher John Hetherington strolled out into the streets of London to show off his new invention: the top hat. The reaction, it must be said, was not as good as it might have been - he was booed and jeered, several women fainted, and a small boy broke his arm. He even ended up in court, and was fined £50 for "appearing on the public highway wearing upon his head a tall structure having a shining lustre and calculated to frighten timid people" Source. Just a caution to faithful cafe visitors: I wouldn't get too attached to the "Fascinating Tidbit o' Historical Haberdashery Knowledge of the Week" feature. I'll do my best but it may fall to the wayside.
No comments:
Post a Comment