Monday, June 12, 2006

"Hello Cleveland!" and Other Desultory Thoughts of the Week


Somehow, being on holiday is freeing my mind up considerably. I wish I could say I'm writing pages and pages on my novel or developing a solution for the shrinking polar ice cap with this new found mental space. I must admit to be rather alarmed at what my unoccupied brain amuses itself with (see the last posting, for example). Since I've actually had 3 requests for my adventures at the drycleaners (one even seemed almost sincere), I'll offer you a few of these random thoughts since not a lot happens at the drycleaners. You may join me in thinking it's time I went back to work.

1. Physics and my Discman. In the past week, my poor Sports Discman has had two rather unfortunate tumbles; in both cases, it emerged without a scratch though one was a very close call. These mishaps have, in an uncharacteristic mental move, led me to consider the physics of discmans. Since I failed Physics 10 (actually, I dropped it before I could officially fail it), I cannot provide an accurate answer to the following physics questions I've been pondering. I offer these questions to you in case you're really bored at work. Question A: After being dropped from a height of 4 feet onto a treadmill moving at 6 K/hr, at what velocity does a Discman hit the wall 5 feet away? All I know is it made a spectacular "wwwwwwwhhapp!" sound, followed by a small whimper from me. Miraculously, its only injury was a slightly dislodged battery which was easily remedied. Question B: How much harder would I have had to accidentally fling my discman out of my backpack while dislodging my bike lock so that, after bouncing three times, it would land under a moving car not just in the intersection? Drivers in neighboring cars watched its trajectory and joined me in saying, "ooohhh...." as it landed a mere foot away from a car's tire. Again, not a scratch on it and it started up cheerfully as always. Like I said, I have no idea how one might answer these questions but I have resolved that my impulse to bring my trusty tank-like discman to the gym rather than my iPod is a very good one indeed.

2. The weight room at my gym pipes in 80s music. At one point I wondered if Steve Perry from Journey is Alvin the Chipmunk all grown up. Perhaps a far-fetched idea but next time you hear Journey, think about it.

3. Riddle me this. Last night Dale and I went to see The Bottle Rockets and Bobby Bare, Jr at the Magic Stick in Detroit. It was a 10$ cover and there's a bar downstairs. Why do people pay the 10$ and then spend the _entire_ show yelling over the music? Why not go downstairs? And, why, after the band dedicates a song to "the pretty ladies in the front row who talked through the first two songs" do they continue? Why? (why why Delilah)

4. Add to my list of missing quotations from film, anything from Spinal Tap. There's always the classics like, "These go to eleven" or "You can't really dust for vomit." I might nominate, "Hello Cleveland!" or "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

No comments: