Dear Cafe visitors, welcome and good evening. Your friendly blogger pondered writing this as today's entry: "We are experiencing technical difficulties. One moment please. Please stand by. Please do not adjust your set." But then she realized she might just admit she's feeling more than a little tired and actually doesn't have very much to say or many pictures to share. Then again, on further reflection, she realized, "actually maybe I do have things to say" and soon she also began to wonder, "why am I writing in third person? I must cease this nonsense. Perhaps the many monuments to Walter Scott are to blame?"
This will be a short entry and fairly picture-less (though I may upload more tomorrow). Today, I was feeling a little sad to leave Inverness: I was awake between 4 and 6 AM this morning and watched the River Ness and listened to the birds. I could see coming back to Inverness for an extended stay. We caught an early-ish train to Edinburgh and we had a very nice train ride. Scotland's a comparatively small country but it's amazing how quickly and dramatically the land and vegetation change. I saw crops for the first time in many miles. We got to Edinburgh early afternoon. I remembered the last time we were here how stunning it was to exit the train station and see that gorgeous architecture. It felt good to be back. Our hotel is lovely and we have an amazing view of the city. And our hotel gives us a free rubber ducky! My delight at this cannot be overstated. And there are again more cookies. We spent the afternoon wandering the streets, all of us were a little culture shocked to be surrounded by so many people after hiking in Skye and walking the small streets of Inverness. We had a late afternoon nap (I was awoken by a bagpiper on the street below-- we're 10 stories up) and then headed out for dinner. Dale worked his usual magic and found us a lovely little French restaurant where we had what might be the best meal of the trip. We had some pints in a little pub tucked into a side street. I made the mistake of having a can of Coke at 11:30 so am now both deleriously exhausted and sugared/ caffeinated up. I will pull this chatty yet somewhat vapid entry to a close and promise you a more engaging read tomorrow. Oh, but I should also note that the statue of Wellington here does not have a traffic cone on his head. Thanks for stopping by!
View from our window
My new duck friend. Would it be wrong to name it Sir Walter?



No comments:
Post a Comment