Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 10: Perfect Day in Edinburgh



Transcribing a handwritten blog entry written this afternoon at the Elephant Room:
"Today was the first day that we split up and did our own things in the morning.  Sean, Barbara and I wanted to go to Edinburgh Castle and Dale didn't.  Having been there before, I knew I'd spend less time there than S&B so we arranged for all four of us to meet at 1:30 at a pub on Bow Street.  My main goal in going to the Castle today was to see my mum's uncle's name in the Scottish National War Memorial.  The last time I was at Edinburgh Castle was fourteen years ago, I could not find his name then and I really wanted to see it this time.  I found the section of the Memorial devoted to the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, but did not see his name. Eventually, I realized I'd need to find his name in the Canadian section and I asked where it was.  Apparently they moved it last week and a staff member found the correct book for me.  I know the BiblioGods (archival division) will be angry for me for sneaking a forbidden picture of his name in the register.  I assume I will be cursed with unnecessary overdue fines and blocks on my library cards for taking such a picture... but I wanted something tangible.  Even though I know I will be smote by vengeful shushing, I'm glad I have the photo.  I wandered around the Castle for a while and then found the crowds getting too intense.  When I felt I was in some sort of stunt trying to determine how many German tourists you could cram into a tiny 12th century chapel, I knew it was time to leave.  

I left the Castle after a nice morning and was very happy to leave the busloads and busloads of tourists behind.  I set out into the novelty of a blue skied sunny day.  I poked around a few tartan shops-- overwhelmed by the number of identical cashmere scarves for sale-- and passed a piper playing what I joyfully realized was Reel of the Royal Scots (perhaps my favourite Scottish Country Dance-- mostly, I think, because of the music.  I also note that it was AH's favourite dance so it seemed like a perfect treat made just for me).  I knew then this day was going to be amazing.  I wandered along the streets and went to Scottish National Library where I saw those neat book art pieces made by an anonymous artist and left in Scottish libraries.  I also saw a really interestingly currated exhibit about the 19th century publisher John Murray.  I then made my way to the Elephant House cafe where JK Rowling was said to have written much of Harry Potter.  I ordered a scone and a cafe au lait and tried to pretend I wasn't as excited as I was.  As a fan of the series, I was excited to be there.  As someone who also writes in cafes, it was pretty neat-- the cafe is unassuming.  It's cool to be writing where she wrote-- maybe I'm at her table!  More reason why cafes should be nice to writers-- you never know what they'll be writing!  [What a happy lovely day!] Walking through Edinburgh, you can really see where Harry Potter came from."  The rest of the entry notes some practicalities and also describes my overwhelming sense of joy and gratitude for all of the forces and circumstances that brough me here.

After meeting up with the other three at 1:30, we wandered and walked a lot. I love that we four love to walk, wander and explore and Edinburgh is a great city to do that.  We walked for quite a while and then wandered up to Calton Hill where the city unfolds in front of you.  I looked out over the city for a long time: it was a perfect hour.  Dinner tonight was tapas-- a bit of a re-creation of the trip the four of us had to Spain last year.  I'm feeling overwhelmed with gratitude for lovely friends who love to travel and are so wonderful to travel with and for the opportunities to travel.  If I get messages again from friends saying, "I'm worried you're not going to come back," I'm not sure what I'd say at this point.  There are so many corners of the world to love.  This trip to Scotland's been transformative and inspiring in ways too vast to articulate at this point.  Tomorrow we're climbing up to Arthur's Seat, even though sleep seems like a such a waste of time in an amazing place, it seems to be a necessity.  Talk to you tomorrow.  


Edinburgh Castle





Amazing Book Art at the National Library


Scone and coffee at Elephant Room

View from my table at the Elephant Room


Pub on Bow Street


Sign for cafe near Elephant Room


View from Calton Hill











No comments: