Sunday, March 04, 2007

My kind of town


This morning-- our last morning in Chicago-- I woke up with the sun pouring into our hotel room on the 26th floor. Our 3 day break had gone by too quickly and I realized that I finally understood Willa Cather's short story "Paul's Case." How does one go back to one's regular life after a few days of art and skyscrapers and amazing food (like pumpkin, sage and cream pizza!) and tasty wine and interesting theater? But thankfully, my affinity with Cather's Paul ended there. And here I am in my own house again and happy to see my cats, water my plants and return to all that daily stuff that is still pretty nice. Nevertheless, last night after we returned from a really interesting performance, we were sipping some wine, nibbling remarkable Spanish cheese and gazing out over the nighttime skyline. 'Does it get any better than this?' I wondered. And then, as if to tempt fate, I turned on the tv to check the weather and discovered the Westminster Kennel Club was being broadcast. I guess the answer is yes. More photos on Flickr.

No comments: