Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Two Unrelated Things: Baseball and Does This Make me a Grown up?

1. Does this make me a grown up? There have been moments this year where I should have felt like a grown up: things like signing a contract for a full-time permanent job or signing on the dotted line to have our house re-sided and re-roofed or, subsequent to our re-roofing, finding myself saying things like "Huh. Look at the downspout on that house." Oddly, it has only been this week that I've been singing The Pursuit of Happiness's "I'm an Adult Now." What is this transitional event? I no longer have a living room furnished with a futon. For the first time in my adult life, I have actual grown up living room furniture. Earlier this evening, I found myself staring at this odd furniture that cannot be unfolded or taken apart or turned into some other kind of furniture and I began to compose a new verse to "I'm an Adult Now." I must confess that my sojourn into real life adulthood lasted as long as it took to write those previous sentences. As I was writing that last sentence, I thought I'd get a handful of jellybeans which, I was miffed to discover, Dale had put in the highest basket in our kitchen. See photo, left, for the Heidi-eye view of those jellybeans in their top basket. I stood on my toes and couldn't reach them. I tried to jump up a bit but to no avail. Finally, I ended up poking them from below so as to dislodge them enough so they'd fall and I could catch them. Futon or no futon, it's hard to feel all grown up when it takes three attempts to dislodge candy from a too-high spot.

2. Baseball. In the "who am I and what have they done with Heidi" category, I found myself doing two odd things this past week. The first was meandering through the Tigers' website and then excitedly emailing Dale to tell him that the Tigers were offering 27 game packages for next season and did he not agree that going to 27 games next summer was "rather do-able." The second odd thing happened on our trip to Louisville, KY over the weekend. I was not only amenable to going to the Louisville Slugger factory, it was number one on my list of things to do in Louisville. Then, in the actual tour of the factory, we were handed some of the bats they produced for the pros. I meant to whisper, "This is A-Rod's bat!!" but it came out as a giddy squeak not unlike the squeak one might hear coming out of a thirteen-year-old girl who has just seen Justin Timberlake. And then I saw the 2006 Tigers' World Series bats. Well. Really. Who am I and what have they done with Heidi?

Anyhoo, there are pictures a plenty of Louisville on my flickr site. Make sure to view them in the two sets: I've still not quite mastered how to upload photos in order. Check out the sets "Little Curtis's Journey to Kentucky" and "Louisville." If you want to learn how to pronounce Louisville, click here.

No comments: