Summary:Score: Tigers 4 Texas 2
Temperature: 77 o
Attendance: 34,765
Winner of the Dunkin' Donuts Race: Biggie Bagel
I'll admit it; I was tired at tonight's game and my mind was wandering. We just returned from almost 2 weeks away and today was my first week back at work. My thoughts wandered between work and baseball and at one point, I started wondering if anything could be more disparate than baseball and libraries. I amused myself by imagining a being at a library conference and saying "I'm the Team Librarian for the Detroit Tigers." Tonight as I sat down to write my game blog, I realized I did not have any major insights into the game (despite Dave calling me "grasshopper" and pointing out a few more nuances I'd not noticed before). So, on a whim, I googled "librarian and baseball" just to see what would happen and I see that actually there are a few connections between libraries and baseball. For example, check out this neat promotion: "Step Up to the Plate @ your library." You can download a playbook (geared toward various age groups) that "contains four pages—or “bases”—of questions in order of increasing difficulty. The questions focus on women in baseball, African-Americans in baseball, Hispanics in baseball, Major League Baseball, and ball parks. Select one question from each “base,” for a total of four questions, and use your library’s print and electronic resources to find the correct answers." I downloaded the over 18 playbook and there are some really cool questions; I think I actually may work my way through these. I realize, at this late hour, that this promotion is actually very interesting from an Information Literacy point of view. Maybe thinking about baseball and libraries isn't all that strange after all. Or, maybe it is. I find myself wondering "maybe I could get hired as the team librarian" and then imagining Jim Leyland saying, "Quick, get the librarian. We need an almanac in the bull pen!" and then wondering if my team uniform would have a Dewey Decimal number on the back? Ah well. It is late and I should get some sleep. Still, it's something to dream about.
No comments:
Post a Comment