Somehow (perhaps by naming my last entry Day 1?), I’ve set up some expectations that I’d blog each day about our trip. And, so, I find myself back at it. First of all, I woke up thinking “I just had a wonderful dream about the Oilers going to the Stanley Cup.” But, ha ha! Tis real not an aery nothing! Wee hee!
The weather today was a bit iffy and so we plotted out a bit of a drive instead of hiking. We first went to Cape Spear, which you may remember from those CBC shorts, is the most easterly point in all of North America. We ended up spending quite a bit of time there—in part, because the terrain was so stunning and but also because I’d seen whale spouts and was absolutely thrilled by the prospect of seeing more. Seeing whale spouts while standing on a sublime precipice was, for me, one of the most remarkable moments. Last week I was organizing some of my childhood books my parents mailed me and I came across my Animals of Canada book. I remember the day I got it and I remember reading it over and over and over and learning about animals, like whales and puffins, that I thought I’d never see. It’s odd for a prairie kid to find herself scanning the ocean horizon and actually seeing whales. On the other hand, when I looked out to the infinite horizon and listened to the waves, the water looked and sounded strangely similar to windy days in the middle of a Saskatchewan wheat field. Still, I thought it odd to be standing in Canada and closer to Ireland than Alberta.
Later in the day, we took the ferry to Bell Island after a fabulous lunch of fish and chips and cod au gratin. On the ferry, Dale and I saw 2 actual whales (or one swiftly moving one?) I still am aglow from the experience. The two other tourists on the ferry were laughing at their digital pictures of the whale and were debating on whether family and friends would see the photos as valid pictorial evidence. We did some driving around Bell Island and saw some lovely country. I was intrigued to find what may be the most beautiful and lonely baseball diamond in all of Canada (it’s just around the corner from Exile street!). And, was amazed to see that grazing horses were tethered rather than corralled; though it alarmed me at first, they seemed perfectly fine and ok with the system.
Tonight we went to a fundraiser for one of the local theatre companies. It was a very interesting premise: 4 writers, 4 actors and 4 directors would have 24 hours to write, produce and perform 4 scenes. Apparently at 8PM yesterday, 4 writers were given a first line (“Can’t you play by the rules just this one time?”) and two props they had to use (a journal and dental floss). After they finished the play, the directors and actors set about staging it and then performing it. One was really compelling, one very good, one interesting and one, umm, had potential.
Now, we’re watching the Hurricanes game—our second favorite team… it’s 3-3 in the third period. And, while I'm thinking of it, as of this morning, our favourite baseball team, the Tigers are now the winningest team in both leagues. Are you noticing a trend here? I think I should buy some lottery tickets. Oh, and we had Newfie Fog ice cream on the way back from the play. Mmmm… Tomorrow, we propose to perambulate and, perchance, ponder the preponderance of peripatetic Puffins. That blog will be brought to you by the letter “P” and the number 8.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment