Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 3.6 Not a very photogenic day, sorry

The downside of deciding to post photos everyday is that there are days when there's not a lot that's terribly interesting. Today, I'm afraid, might be one of those days.  I haven't really been writing about my work since we got here because, well, really, who wants to read about work when there are things like pubs and collie dogs and parades to read about?  There haven't been any pubs or collie dogs or parades to report on today so this will have to do.
I have been working a lot while here and getting lots done between our fantastic outings.  Last week or earlier, I'd been grumbling about getting started on an article on an assigned topic.  It was a tough slog at first because I had to find a way to be interested in this particular topic but each day I summoned one of the best productivity tips I've ever encountered: "sit in your chair and do some work."  I still think that's the best tip ever.  Isabel Allende phrased it a little more poetically: “Show up, show up, show up, and after a while the muse shows up, too."  Anyway,  Ms Allende was right and today I finished a full draft of my new article and I'm actually quite happy with what I came up with.  Tomorrow I'll give it another edit and then let it sit for a bit (it's actually not due until July-- sorry brother of mine if I just made you cringe).    
This article is a first for me-- it's the first time I've written anything without a single piece of paper other than a notebook to hand write some notes: all the research I used was from PDFs on my iPad and I had no printed drafts.  So, here are some sort of dull photos.  My paperless work environment, my muse in a package (Orange chocolate on rice cakes!), a passage from the fantastic biography of Jane Austen I've been reading, and the little washer dryer unit that I compared earlier today on FB to the laundry equivalent of an Easy Bake Oven.  Note the 120 minute dryer setting.  Three loads of laundry took all day and half of it is still hanging to dry.  I did manage to fit in a run through Westport House (longer and faster today) but it was raining so no pictures.  I did notice baby sheep in an enclosure-- they're new.  And cute.  I hope, dear reader, that tomorrow will be a more interesting day for you at the Cafe.  I will make it my mission to find something better for you. 








No comments: