D and I went to Phog Lounge twice yesterday: once right after it was announced that Phog is officially the "No.1 live music venue in Canada" and then a second time later in the evening to share a pint with other Phog revelers.
As we left Phog last night, I stopped to take this photo. It's probably not obvious from the photo but there's something
magical going on inside those orange walls on University Ave and I know I'm not the only one to think so.
There is--despite the news (or maybe because of the news)-- a more urgent sense of hope in the people I know in Windsor. Maybe it all started on November 4 when Obama said "I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you - we as a people will get there." The news in Windsor has been particularly difficult lately. Still, somehow, everywhere I go there's a growing sense of optimism that things can change. Two things in particular stand out. Last week I attended one of the most amazing and inspiring events I have been to in recent memory. You can hear Tom talk about Pecha Kucha Windsor - Talk 20 and watch video of the various stellar presentations. I think everyone left feeling a little more inspired, amazed, challenged, reflective and, most importantly, connected to our city and to each other.
All day I've been walking with a spring in my step. In part it's because Windsor's own Phog lounge was voted the No.1 live music venue in Canada. While the victory is lovely, it's the process that has been particularly moving. In Phog, Frank and Tom have created something really special in Windsor. More and more, Phog seems to embody the undercurrent of energy, creativity and determination that has always appealed to me about Windsor since we moved here in 2000. Every single day I see evidence that contradicts the recurrent comments that I hear about Windsor.
In a recent story, Tom is quoted as saying "People are so blinded by this 'poor me, poor Windsor,' but this town is ripe for really great things to happen. There are people doing things besides worrying. They're getting out there and getting excited about the place they're living in." There's an excitement building and I think Tom's right: this town is ripe for really great things to happen.
If you live in Windsor, stop by Phog for a pint, some Phries and some perfectly chilled Junior Mints. If you don't live in Windsor, Tom will take you on a tour here. Either way, I think you'll see why so many of us voted for Phog. It's not just a space where we go see bands: it's much, much more. As Tom notes on the PhogBlog, "When you want something, and you participate in what it takes to make that happen with a mobilized group of inspired individuals, you succeed whether it ends in a victory or defeat paired with a tighter community." Yesterday Phog's win proved how true this is and how amazing it can be.
2 comments:
Holy potatoes Batman, now THAT was inspired talk.
I really feel something's going on in this town, and I'm not the only one.
It'll be a steady rise of good ideas and good people coming to the fore to pass the torch onto better things.
SO exciting!
Awesome post. Gave me chills.
Here here!
Post a Comment