Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Baseball Blogs: Who's Your Tiger?

August 7, 2007
Game Time Temperature: 79o
Attendance: 35,288
Winner of the Dunkin' Donuts Race: Cuppie Coffee
Final Score: Detroit 9 Tampa Bay: 6

For some reason, we had exchanged seats for this game and we found ourselves in our former haunts in sections 325-330. As I've noted before, it's a different game up here and I was happy to be back up here and watch the sunset. Up here, I could see a greater swath of fans and I was struck by how many more people were wearing players' shirts. When we first started going, there were a few Youngs and Higginsons. In more recent years, there have been a lot of Rodriguez and Inge shirts but lately there are many more Granderson, Zumaya, Verlander, Sheffield, Ordonez, Rogers and Polanco. I wonder if this is the result of the "who's your Tiger promotion" or just that people are getting really attached to particular players. Lately, the affection people have for players has made it a really energetic place to watch baseball. On Sunday, I had written about how losing might have its own under-rated aesthetic. By the time this game was over and we'd watched the Tigers blow a 4 run lead in the 8th inning and then come back to score three runs to win it, I started rethinking my previous blog. It is a lot more fun to watch a team win. Am I bad person for thinking that?

No comments: